Vince Gill is one of my all time favorite singers. And he is a great guitar player too. But in this song he really shows his smooth strumming and Rhythm ability. And of course his voice is at perfect pitch. Today is your lucky day if you want to learn how to play Go Rest High on That Mountain. See what I’m teaching you in this lesson.
How to Play Go Rest High on That Mountain Guitar Lesson:
- How to Play Go Rest High on That Mountain
- Go Rest High on That Mountain Chords
- Finger Position of the chords
- Chord Sheet
- Lyrics How to Play Go Rest High on That Mountain
- Strumming Pattern
- Bonus Video Tutorial – How to Play Go Rest High on That Mountain
If this sounds like fun and your ready. Then grab your guitar and let me teach you this great Vince Gill song.
Go Rest High on That Mountain Chords
What makes this song a great beginner song to learn is there are three easy chords. The song is at a slow tempo so that strumming and chord transitioning becomes a lot easier. Take a look at them in the chord charts. If you need help learning how to read a chord chart. Then look at the quick reference.
How to Play a D Chord
- Place your finger on the 3rd string. The G string. At the second fret.
- Put your second finger on the 1st string. (E string). Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the 2nd string. (B string). At the third fret.
- Strum from the 4th string down. Don’t play the 5th or 6th string.
A Chord Finger Position
- Place Your first finger on the 4th string. The D string. At the second fret.
- Your second finger is on the 3rd string. Which is the G string. Also at the second fret.
- Then your third finger is on the B string. At the second fret. This is the 2nd string.
- Strum from the 5th string down, and don’t play the 6th strings.
Related Article: 5 Ways to Play the A Chord on Guitar.
How to Play the G Chord
- Place Your first finger at the second fret of the A string. Which is the 5th string.
- Put your second finger at the third fret on the E string. The 6th string.
- Your Third Finger is at the third fret. On the B string.
- Then place your pinkie on the third fret of the high E string. The 1st string.
- When strumming the G chord you can play all the strings.
The chords are easy and compliment the easy strumming pattern. Let me cover the strumming pattern so that you can play with the chord sheet. The song is in 4/4 timing and is played at a relatively slow tempo. The strumming pattern is D D U D D U D, D D U D D U D. Which is down down up down down up Down.
If your a beginner guitarist you could simply do all down strums.
Related Article: How to Strum a Guitar with a Pick.
Reverb the market place musicians love to buy gear. Check out the gear…
Reverb the place Musicians love to buy gear. Check out the guitars & gear.
Go Rest High on That Mountain Chord Sheet Play along
Be Sure to get the second part of the Chord Sheet. It’s Free!
Below is a Free downloadable PDF of the Chord Sheet.
Related Article: 11 Easy Songs on Guitar.
Lyrics How to Play Go Rest High on That Mountain
I know your life on earth was troubled. And only you could know the pain. You weren't afraid to face the devil. You were no stranger to the pain. So go rest high on that mountain. Sun your work on earth is done. Go to heaven a shouting. Love for the Father and the Son. Oh how we cried the day you left us. Gathered round your grave to grieve Wish I could see the angels faces, When they hear your sweet voice sing. So go rest high on that mountain. Sun your work on earth is done. Go to heaven a shouting. Love for the Father and the Son. Go rest high on that mountain. Sun your work on earth is done. Go to heaven a shouting. Love for the Father and the Son. Go to heaven a shouting. Love for the Father and Son.
Go Rest High on That Mountain Sheet Music Free PDF
Related Article: 15 Beginner Country Guitar Songs-Fun and Easy to Play.
What is the Meaning behind Go Rest High on That Mountain?
The song Go rest High on That Mountain was written and sang by Vince Gill. He wrote it when his older brother died of a heart attack. The song is about Life and pain that his brother went through. And now his work is finished. Now he can go to heaven and rest high with God the Father and the Son. According to Lyric Artist facts Vince Gill started writing the song when the legendary Country singer Keith Whitley Died. But never finished it until his brother died. Source
In 1995 The song won a Grammy for the best Country song.
Related Article: Easy Country Love Songs.
Vince Gill-Go Rest High on That Mountain George Jones Funeral
On April 26, 2013 George Glenn Jones died, at the age of 81. You could see Vince Gills grief playing the song song Go Rest High on that Mountain at George Jones Funeral. Where he sang with Paddy Loveless. He loved George Jones so much that at times he could not sing his own lyrics. Paddy Loveless Vince’s good friend and duet partner in several Vince Gill songs picked up the slack. Keeping the song moving along.
Garth Brooks and Trisha Year wood stood up in reverence. And this started everybody one by one standing. As if to give Vince Gill the strength he needs to get through to the end. George Jones September 12, 1931-April 26, 2013, RIP.